Most of us do proper calculation and submit all our investment details to our employers to ensure they deduct right amount of TDS (Tax deducted at Source). Inspite of that at the last moment we find that we have paid more tax to the Government and we keep waiting for the government to process our income tax refund. If you are filing your taxes in India then government has streamlined the process in 2007 by introducing Refund Banker scheme for individual tax payers for speedy income tax refund. This facility is currently available for users who have assessed their taxes in Ahmedabad,Allahabad,Bangalore,Bhubaneswar Mumbai, Chennai,Cochin, Chandigarh, Delhi, Hyderabad, , Kolkata, Kanpur, Pune, Patna, and Trivandrum. Under this process once the refund process is completed by tax officers the amount is transferred to respective tax payers by State Bank of India by RTGS/NEFT method if you have opted for ECS transfer else they will post a cheque through India Post’s speed post service. You need to ensure that you have provide correct bank number , MICR code of your branch along with its correct IFSC/SWIFT Code. For Paper cheque option ensure you have provided correct bank account number and mailing address. If you have provided incorrect details then you will not receive your refund.
Where to check the status of income tax refund?
If you need to get a refund of tax from government then after filing your tax you can check the status of income tax refund by visiting the tax refund status portal. Government of India has launched a portal which can be accessed here and on providing your PAN (Permanent Account Number) and the assessment year for which you are checking refund status.Once your income tax return has been processed by the government they will determine if you are eligible for refund or not. You can check your status of income tax return processing by logging into income tax e-filing portal and access the information by clicking My Account -> My Returns/Forms. Once you see the status as processed you can check the status of your income tax refund after 10 days by visiting the refund status portal and provide your PAN number and the assessment year
The refund status will be displayed along with a reference number and if you have opted for paper cheque mode then you will also have a speed post tracking number to track your cheques posted through India Post.
Reasons for refund status not being displayed
There can be many reasons for status not being displayed. You can login to online tax e-Filing portal and check
- If your Income tax returns are processed and if you are eligible for any refund
- If your returns has been returned due to wrong account number or incorrect mailing address. This can checked again by logging into online tax e-Filing portal and if so the same can be corrected in the same portal you can again request for a refund.
Important Email and Phone numbers for inquiring income tax refund status
- If your income tax return has been processed and if you are eligible for return then after 10 to 15 days of your income tax return processing you can contact State Bank of India at toll free number: 18004259760 or by email email@example.com
- If you have queries related to refund and want to speak to income tax processing department then contact Aaykar Sampark Kendra at 0124 2438000 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need to modify any of your refund details contact the CPC Bangalore help desk on 1-8004252229 or 080-43456700.